Research laboratories - 5690 Rosemont
20 000 000 $
The project consists of the transformation of an old convent into laboratories dedicated to the research of optics and ophthalmology for the Fondation de l’Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont. The building which evolved during 4 major transformations from 1934 to 1965, now hosts 6 labs, support spaces, a conference room and administrative spaces. The conversion of a religious building into modern laboratories was a major transformation that required important structural work and careful interventions to improve the building. Specific technical requirements had to be met amidst the numerous constraints imposed by the existing building. The buildings’ exterior is transformed by the addition of a mechanical penthouse while the building's new identity is also visible from the restored envelope, new windows, the new vestibule and it screen that serves as new signage to display the buildings’ transformation and new use. While the vestibule is a sober glass cube allowing the original façade to remain the main feature, it leads into a new double-height space to provide much needed openness to the interior spaces. The repurposing of the building represents a technical achievement that takes into account a sustainable approach that is mindful of the heritage of the building.