Industrial Alliance Complex
Carrefour Industrielle Alliance
42 000 000 $
- Award of Excellence - Urban Development Institute of Quebec, 2000
The Simpson's Building was constructed in 1929 in an Art Deco style and was an important contributor to the commercial vitality of St. Catherine Street until its closure. In 1997, in an effort to maximize the real estate potential of this now empty building, l'Immobilière Industrielle Alliance, undertook its redevelopment into a multi-functional commercial centre of more than 210 000 square feet in area, containing a department store on the ground floor, a cinema complex with 13 screens on the upper floors and a food court at the basement level.
The extensive project involved several technical challenges: the acoustic separation of the different spaces, increasing the structural spans, increasing the building's population (to more than 4300 people) which then led to the complete re-organization of the vertical circulation and the exit stairs.
Completed in 1999, this project successfully transformed the old Simpson's store into the Carrefour Industrielle Alliance, revitalizing Montreal's most important commercial artery.