Name of current page

DMA logo

Maison Mère d'Youville

Maison Mère d'Youville

Maison Mère d'Youville

Client:

Cost:

Final completion:

Les Sœurs Grises de Montréal

6 000 000 $

1994

The old hospital of the Grey Nuns, originally the Freres Charron Hospital, was built in 1692 on the Pointe à Callière in Old Montreal. Numerous floods and the insertion of St. Pierre Street in 1872, encouraged the religious community to move uptown to the corner of Guy and Rene-Levesque Streets. In 1980, the decision was made to move back to the original location and the Grey Nuns mandated DMA for the restoration and rehabilitation of these historic buildings for the use by their General Council and its secretariat, the archives and a residence for the nuns, for a total area of 125 000 square feet divided between the remains of the old hospital and the Victorian building located on the site.