Name of current page

DMA logo

Engineering Complex, McGill University

Engineering Complex, McGill University

Engineering Complex, McGill University

Client:

Cost:

Final completion:

Université McGill

6 500 000 $

1998

The departments of the Faculty of Engineering at McGill University are set within four buildings that together form the Engineering Complex: Macdonald-Harrington (1896), Macdonald Engineering (1908), Frank Dawson Adams (1951) and McConnell Engineering (1957). In 1997, with the opening of the M.H. Wong Pavilion, the University took advantage of the space freed by the Metallurgy and Chemical Engineering departments to concentrate within the main campus the many different services that were scattered in various downtown office buildings. In addition to the general user safety standards upgrade of the Complex all buildings were also made barrier-free accessible. At the same time, the functional program included the re-organization of the data network throughout the Complex allowing for continuous access to the IT infrastructure (LAN-McGill).
Throughout the engineering Complex, the interventions were implemented while respecting the heritage character of the buildings using a rigorous conservation strategy to preserve and restore the buildings' original architectural elements.