Macdonald Engineering Building

Client : Université McGill Year : 2019 Budget : 5.5 M$ Location : Montréal, QC

Roofing, dormer windows and masonry restoration

McGill University's Macdonald pavilion was built in 1907 on the foundations of an original building dating from 1893 and destroyed by a major fire. Designed by architect Percy Erskine Nobbs, it is constructed of Montreal limestone.

It faces the central parterre of the historic campus of the University and is one of its most prominent features. With the Workman Wing to the north and the Electrical Wing added in 1926 to the east, it forms a self-contained complex that has been home to McGill University's Faculty of Engineering since its inception.
Apart from numerous interior refurbishments and the addition of a fifth floor on the North Workman Wing in 1947, the building never underwent any repairs to its envelope.
Our interventions consisted in restoring the roof and dormer by replacing the slate and copper cladding. We also restored and consolidated the masonry cladding including the repair of some carved stone elements, covering the masonry spandrels with tinned copper flashings and replacing the windows.
Start the slideshow